(click right arrow inside slide to make it look like a movie)
Preheat oven 350º and spray non-stick cooking spray onto a 9″ baking pan.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (cut into cubes)
1) Combine flour, salt and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
2) Cut in the butter, by using your hands or a pastry blender, until large moist crumbs appear.
3) Chill for fifteen minutes.
4 Tbsp butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp allspice
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2/3 cup buttermilk * (I used whole milk and lemon juice 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (toss rinsed and dried fruit with 1 Tbsp flour, just prior to adding to the mixed batter) *(Next time I will rinse the blueberries and toss them in sugar instead of flour)
1) Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice together in a medium bowl.
2) In a large mixing bowl and using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3) Add large egg and beat well.
3) Alternating the dry ingredients and the liquid, add to the mixing bowl and blend, ending with the liquid.
4) The batter will appear stiff.
5) Toss the fresh blueberries with the flour and gently add and fold them into the batter.
6) Spread into baking pan and cover the top with the streusel.
7) Place baking pan into oven on top of a cookie sheet. This will prevent the bottom of the cake from burning.
8) Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until toothpick come out clean.
9) Allow cake to cool on baking rack for at least 10 to 15 minutes and then sift 10X sugar on top, if desired.
Serve while still warm, perhaps fifteen minutes after removing from the oven.
* Adapted from a Martha Stewart’s recipe.