Simple Syrup With Fruits
Use clean granulated sugar
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Fruits, washed, peeled, cored and sliced.
Star Anise or anise seeds, cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans (examples of spices)
You can also add liquors, brandies, rums, and whiskies that pair well with the fruits you have chosen to use.
1) Combine water and sugar (more, if desired, but in equal portions), into a stainless saucepan.
2) Sir until sugar is dissolved and make certain there is no sugar on the insides of the pan (above the mixture).
3) Turn heat to high and stir a bit more.
4) Stop stirring and allow to come to a full boil.
5) Add fruits and turn heat to low.
6) Cut a round of parchment paper, cutting some slits to vent.
7) Carefully place the parchment lid on top of the fruit. Press down.
8) Allow the fruits and syrup to become acquainted.
9) Remove from heat and after allowed to cool down, remove the apples and pour into a heavy glass container.
10) Add anise seeds and stir.
* If you have star anise, add four or five along with the fruits, during the cook time.
Simple syrup will keep for a good while, and may be used for many purposes. To sweeten drinks, brushed onto cake layers to help keep moist. Brushed onto the tops of fruit tarts.