Gateaux St. Honore
This is a marvelous way to end the day. Simply take your leftovers and prepare this delicious and creative cake. This way you never have to waste any delectable pastry goodies. This cake is in honor of Saint Honore who is the patron saint of bakers. The base of the cake is made from puff pastry scraps or quick puff; 1/16″ to 1/8″ scraps, heavily docked. The walls of the cake are built with choux paste; profiteroles dipped into caramel and glued on with caramel sugar. This is also referred to as an Alsacienne Tart.
leftover puff pastry or quick puff (rolled round, docked and the edge egg washed)
leftover choux paste (pipe around the outer edge of puff circle, where egg washed)
1/2 pastry cream ————————–This is Creme Chibouste
1/2 Italian meringue
1) Bake 375º 20 to 25 minutes and dry out.
2) Combine pastry cream and meringue, equally, by folding into a Creme Chibouste.
3) Pipe Creme Chibouste level with the piped choux edge.
4) Dip profiteoles into caramel and glue to the choux with additional caramel sugar. Adhere to the baked choux wall.
5) Pipe more Creme Chibouste making level with the glued profiteroles.
6) Top with a caramel glazed profiterole.